As a Recruitment Consultant, often I screen in excess of 300 resumes per week and regularly the same mistakes are made by job seekers. Which is why I want to advise future applicants, what information positively assists your job application when applying for your next career move.
Important information required when submitting your resume:
- Full Name
- Profession / Job Title
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Contact Number
- Qualifications – Licences / Certificates / Trade / Tickets
- Work Experience
- include employer / date from and to / location / job title held / responsibilities / achievements or awards / projects / etc
- most recent to least recent position in chronological order
- ensure there are no gaps between positions and for long career breaks, state the purpose eg holiday / paternity leave / study etc
- Equipment / Machinery Experience
- List makes / models and be as descriptive as possible (this section will assist with keyword searches)
- Skills / Systems Competency
- Achievements / Hobbies (not mandatory)
- Referees (work related) – Name / Company / Job title / Contact Number | list a minimum of 3.
Some suggestions to make your resume standout out from others:
- Purpose / Opening Statement
- Career summary or overview of professional experience
- Personal profile photograph on front page
- Previous employer’s logos located beside the relevant work experience paragraph
- Bold headings / use of colour in headings or bullet points
- Why you resigned / terminated from each role
- Snippet of trade / driver’s licence and/or other pre-requisites mentioned in the job advertisement
If you would like a free resume template specifically structured for a trades person applying to the mining or civil industry, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org or download it from the link below.
For more tips on how to improve your job application when applying to the mining or civil construction industries, get in touch with Mining Pathways.